May 2, 2013

My sanctuary

I recently spent a week back in my home town to target a lake I've dialed in over the last couple years. Also because this place yields a chance at tiger musky, though a very rare occasion according to local sharpies. The pickerel bite was red hot I soon discovered with most fish 15-18in range. I did manage severel 24-28in fish, which slammed my flies. One morning just after sunrise I had a much larger fish (still think it was a tiger) slam a 5 in creation of mine and cut my tippet. Musky 1 Dave 0.

About 5 years ago this place had a die off of mostly the bigger bass due to low o2 from the ice over. They have slowly recovered but I have not had a bass over 12in in years there. So I was surprised when I hooked into a 16in bass that was sitting next to a stump on a quiet flat being warmed by the late morning sun. A very memorable fish. For me it wasn't about the size of the fish but about putting my offering right in front of him from a good 75ft and watching him hammer it. I hold this place dear to myself. Enjoy the few pics I managed to snap.








No comments: